Friday, September 11, 2009

OHMIGOSH! It's Friday!?!?

Thank you all for your patience. I'm sorry I haven't been posting blogs very quickly. I hope you are able to follow on Twitter. That is where I am trying to do most of my updating. This is ALL so exhausting: managing John's care, being his advocate, updating our VAST support network, tracking how the children are doing, fielding calls, replying to e-mails, answering texts, not letting myself get rundown. It is a lot to do. While His grace is sufficient, I am grateful that y'all are cutting me some slack on the communication thing. Just so you know, my distribution lists for sending update e-mails are on the desktop at home. I am therefore not able to send e-mails each time I post an update to this site. Please either sign up to be a follower on this site and request notifications from the site or check back frequently for updates. I'm trying hard to post at least one update per day.

Okay so now with all THAT out of the way... on to what you really want to know:

How is John?

They have moved him out of the "armpit of Satan" in that ICU and into his own room. This room is a suite reserved for Dr. Ahuja's patients and we are living in the lap of luxury here. Dr. Ahuja was NOT happy they had bumped John out of the neuro ICU. He told me, "I gave them a piece of my mind." Our nurse told us, "Dr. Ahuja is a very powerful man. When he says something, we ALL jump." To say we are much more comfortable here is the HUGEST understatement in the world. If he ever gets conscious, he has a flat screen TV and DVD player. I'm sleeping on a pull out bed in stead of that horrible recliner. My butt is currently residing in a LEATHER recliner. But most importantly I am able to keep it PITCH black in here so he can rest peacefully and reduce the pain from light sensitivity.

He is still VERY nauseous and the pain is pretty bad. A few minutes ago he woke up calling out, "Stop! Stop!" We got him a bit more comfortable, and he is back to sleep right now. He is doing VERY well in the areas of strength and mobility. He can stand up with little assistance. He has done some walking. When we got to this room, he did not want to be lifted from one bed to the other he wanted to scooch himself.

How can I help?

1. The most important thing you can do is to continue praying. Pray for complete healing, for relief from the pain and nausea. Also in order to go home, he just has to get the nausea under control and to be managing his pain via oral medication instead of IV. Those are the goals we are working towards. Please help us by praying towards those goals.

2. Visiting: I feel bad because I keep reiterating this, but we are continually being inundated with requests to come and visit. John is NOT up to that yet but is trying hard to get himself there. Yesterday, we brought the little kids up and they each got a quick 30-second visit: a kiss, I love you's and a card before they were whisked out because he was fading fast. I almost cried earlier when I got to actually hold a conversation with him for about 15 min or so. I got all tongue tied and couldn't remember what I had been dying to converse with him about for the past 2 days. It was just so good to have him talking to me for a little bit. To all those who are chomping at the bit to visit, I VOW to you I will tell you when he is feeling up to it. I will not forget you! But he only just visited with me for the first time last night at about 9 p.m.

3. Child care: I really only planned help with the kids through tomorrow morning. My sisters have been my gold standard here: arrising in early hours to pick up the chidren, watching them whenever they are available... Cori's house has become headquarters for the Kastner Fiesta and she has even been keeping them all night as long as I get someone to get them before she has to leave for work. Not sure what is going to happen as it now appears very likely that we will be here this weekend and my one sister, mom, and m-i-l will all be at the NDC women's retreat. If anyone out there has a fun suggestion and would like to entertain the Kastner Kids this weekend, please call/text/e-mail. I'm open to suggestions.

4. Miscellaneous: there are other practical ways for people to help if they are itching for things to do. I thought today while I'm in the city I should run my van to a quick lube (haven't been able to find one of those in the boonies) and get the oil change that is LONG overdue. If someone wanted to pick it up and run that errand for me, that'd be great. My only request would be to take it somewhere CHEAP. I'm getting a little sick of fast food. It would be dreamy if someone could bring me something real to eat. In fact, Dad if you are reading this it would be AWESOME if tomorrow morning a lunch of leftover tater tot casserole made it to me. Mmmmmm....

Okay, I think that's it and I'm feeling sleepy so I think I could get a bit more rest now. Thank you SO much for everything you are ALL doing: the prayers, the encouraging notes/texts/e-mails/calls, the assistance with children, the gifts, the love, they are our lifeline! We love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...