Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Brain Surgery SUCKS!

Well today was a fun day (NOT!). John left for work at normal time but by 11 a.m. his boss had sent him home because he was so ill. He was dizzy, unable to walk, fatigued, and the headache was excruciating. His daughter, Amanda, picked him up at Marquette and brought him ALL the way out to Iron Ridge. When he arrived, he collapsed into bed and slept sounder then the dead for four hours.

I spent the day trying to get my work done in between phone calls to doctors and the HR department at MU, and making arrangements for the kids for next week. Tonight we spent the night arguing with each other and with well-meaning people who have all of a sudden become experts in the field of brain surgery. We are BOTH exhausted, depleted, and weary.

In addition to the pain, agony, medical red-tape, and arguing, the finances are already getting interesting as well. However, like Manna from the sky, God has already provided a few signs that we should "consider the lillies of the field...." Just a few moments ago our neighbors arrived with bags of frozen food for us. Yesterday, another neighbor dropped by with a bag of rhubarb. But here is my favorite story. Over the weekend I had been corresponding with a lady from a homeschool classified website about purchasing a textbook Noah needs for science. I was supposed to send her a check for the book, but honestly in the midst of all of this medical frenzy, I kinda forgot. When she e-mailed me yesterday to inquire if I had mailed the check or not, I had to tell her that even though the book was not very expensive I could no longer purchase it. I told her my husband was having brain surgery and would be out of work without pay for a month. Even the smallest expenses would have to be curtailed and I would have to wait to purcahse Noah's new science text until later in the year. The response of this complete stranger blessed me and reminded me that God WILL provide for the Kastners during this time. She said, "Then I would like to send you this book for free." She also asked for permission to add John to her church's prayer list. I said PLEASE we will take ALL the prayer we can get.

I am exhausted, overwhelmed and stretched to what feels like the breaking point, but I am SURE of this.... God will get us through this. He feeds the sparrows.... He will NOT let the Kastners starve.

So after a long day of planning and arranging, here is what our timeline looks like:

Wednesday (tomorrow):
***John will go to work if he is feeling up to it (PLEASE PRAY that he is up to it. Not so much for the money.... if God is going to provide for us during John's recovery what are a few more days??? more for John's peace of mind. He is so stressed, and he feels so defeated and useless right now)

Thursday:
***just before lunch John has an appointment with his primary care physician who has to clear him as fit for surgery
***at 2:30 p.m. he has his final pre-op appointment with the Neurosurgeon

Saturday:
***we are having a chili dinner/prayer meeting/bonfire at our house. Please join us if you can. 5 p.m. for chili; prayer at 6 p.m.; fire when it gets dark

Tuesday:
***surgery day (time to be determined)

I already have care arranged for the children every day next week: Tuesday through Saturday; I will be staying in the hospital with John the first night after his surgery. After that the kids and I will most likely be sleeping in town with my sister so as to not be so far away from John.

PRAY! PRAY! PRAY! it is LESS than a week away! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!





Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these." If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.
Matthew 6:27-33

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...