Thursday, April 16, 2009

April 15th.... Dooms (I mean Tax) day

 Just a quick funny story... the lesson is quite obvious: Don't wait until the last minute to deal with your taxes.


So every single year I VOW that I am going to get my taxes done in January, yet every single year finds me entering April without my taxes done. I completed my taxes on Easter Sunday at my parent's house and then planned to mail them 4/15. Since I had to pay, I didn't want to give the government my money even one day early. Apparently I set my "mail the taxes" reminder too late because when it went off at 5 p.m. I realized CRAP! I missed the mail! No worries I'll just head up to the 24-hour post office by the airport after John gets home from work tonight. (Famous last words.)

After AI, I hopped in the car to head to the post office. Approaching the post office from the south, I saw some orange cones and thought, "Hmmmm wonder if those are to direct me and the other April Fools who didn't do their taxes earlier to the post office." Well right by the cones was a sign warning of road construction so I (incorrectly) assumed the cones were due to the construction and not the rush to the post office. BAH! no other way into the post office! I had to drive all the way down halfway to Layton before I could make a U turn. Now approaching the post office from the north, I realized, "No left turn into the post office!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!" all the way back through the tunnel and another U turn before I got into the post office parking lot, only to realize it was too late for drive up service. Seriously! This was becoming like a BAD episode of Malcolm in the Middle! But it wasn't over yet.

For whatever reason I had decided NOT to put on shoes before I left because I couldn't find them. "I'm just driving up to the mail box and dropping off my taxes," I reasoned. So here I was in the parking lot searching in vain for a parking spot, trying to decide if I should park in a no parking or pretend like there was a spot over by that mailbox.... Finally I made a spot by the mailbox and hurried in to the post office barefoot and in a winter coat. Phew! That's over! Ya right Jami!

I traveled west down College and too late realized that those signs meant College was closed due to construction. My only choice was to get on I94 going downtown! I live south of the airport... south and west... now I was traveling north towards downton! AHHHHHHH! It was becoming increasingly hard to hold back the cuss words that were trying to rush into my brain and out of my mouth.

I have never once in my entire life exited I94 northbound at Layton... for some reason I thought the exit was after I got onto the 894 bypass so I missed the Layton exit! GRRRRRR! Fine! I'll get off at 27th street then! NOPE! more construction! I couldn't get off until Loomis! I was so completely and totally frustrated! For those of you who are not from Milwaukee, in a nutshell... what should have taken me 20 minutes round trip turned into nearly an hour! All I could think as I pulled into my driveway was, "Next year, I am doing my taxes in January!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...