Friday, April 3, 2009

God's Will viewed through American Idol

The other night I had an exhausting night of dreams fraught with deep meaning. For example in one part of my dream, I was outside a building with Hannah. All of sudden in the distance, I saw a tornado approaching. I knew I had no time to run inside so I just huddled close to the building and shielded Hannah with my body. Bricks flew from the building and glass shattered as the tornado devastated all around us, but we were not harmed by the storm. As I reflected on the dream the next day, I realized that this was just like what my family has been enduring for the past few years. Destruction and devastation rages all around us, yet God shields us with His body protecting us from being harmed by the storm.

In another part of my dream, I was walking with American Idol contestant Danny Gokey. (Yes, I full well realize that I probably watch and google American Idol too much.) As Danny and I walked along, he expressed to me his concern about being eliminated from the show. I turned to him and said, “If it is God’s will for you to be the next American Idol, there is nothing that can stand in your way. If it is not God’s will, do you really want it?”

I have often found myself in this same position. I recall right after John and I first got married. We had moved to Denver and were trying to make it there. I interviewed for several teaching positions. I was rejected over and over again. I remember trying so hard to remind myself that I wanted God to close the doors that I was not supposed to walk through, but still the rejection stung so badly. I wrestled with God and cried out my pain and fear. Finally, a deep peace settled upon me. I knew what I truly wanted was to be in the center of God’s will for my life. It did not make the rejection hurt any less, but it refocused my eyes onto what was really important. After just five months of living in Denver, God led John and me back home to Wisconsin. As I recalled the rejection of my job hunt, I realized that had I gotten a job I would not have been free to return to Wisconsin. I would not have been free to be in the center of God's will.

What’s the rejection you’re facing today? Whether you are trying to be the next American Idol, searching desperately for a job, or chasing some other dream, I hope that you too desire nothing more and nothing less than His will for your life.

One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek Him in His temple. Psalm 27:4

4 comments:

  1. Jami, I love the simplicity and profoundness of this message; If it isn't God's will, do you really want it? It really, really struck me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Timely Blog, Jami! I still struggle with the death of a dream I let go of to follow God's will for my life! Always willing to follow Jesus but sometimes it's so hard not to look back and wonder about our choices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate your blog - I have been dealing with a ton of professional rejection lately and I know how hard it is to not take it personally. It takes a while but I finally realize there is a plan and someone who knows better than I do what I need... keep up the writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have skills!
    Now could you please get Kyli to completely comprehend this "in God's will, no matter what or where" thing. Teenagers have an amazing ability to tune out the mother's voice. Thanks. Karin

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...