Friday, April 10, 2009

The Aroma of Jesus

Last week I had a tooth extracted. Then a few days ago, I had to return to the dentist as my extraction site was bothering me. I thought the site was infected, but the dentist said it was not. He then packed the hole in my gum with medicated gauze because he suspected I had a dry socket. It was not a fun process. The packing was not comfortable, and the aroma and taste of the stuff he put in my gum was like nothing I have ever experienced before. I gagged over the taste dripping down my throat and immediately lost my ability to smell any other aroma. I returned home and immediately my smell announced my arrival. Noah said, “That is you? I thought the people came to spray the lawn!” Elise was standing behind my chair as I faced the TV and said goodbye to her. She said she could smell me when I was not even talking in her direction. John put his hand over his face every time I opened my mouth, and Elijah kept fanning his hand in front of his face in an attempt to shoo away my odor. At first I was just miserable with the over-powering aroma and taste driving me nuts. Now two days later, I have become a little accustomed to it, and I think it is actually wearing off a little too.


This made me think. Wouldn’t it be great if my love for Jesus permeated my life as much as the smell permeated my breath? Wouldn’t it be great if all I could smell and taste would be Him? If every time I opened my mouth, others were overwhelmed by the love of Jesus flowing out of me? If just by standing behind me, they were still surrounded by the love of God?

I thought about this and I wondered, how can I plant a little bit of medicated Jesus gauze in my heart to make this happen? And how do I avoid becoming accustomed to it and allowing it to wear off a little? I know this answer is basic. It is like Christianity 101. It has to be a daily thing. Every single solitary day I have to fill up on Jesus. I have to read the Word. I have to talk to Him. The more I pursue Him, the more He will pour out of me. The more I immerse myself in Him, the more I will smell like Him.


So if you want to smell like Jesus too, then quit reading this blog and go talk to Him! Open up His word. Spend some time basking in Him, and then go and spread the aroma of Jesus to all around you.

1 comment:

  1. Very good point, and I do not want to minimize the message but I'm still laughing over the first paragraph ...lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...