Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Be the Change You Want to See!

These words have been floating around in my head for several weeks. I decided it was time to blog about them and quickly googled them to see if maybe I had heard them somewhere and that’s why they have been stuck in my head. They are part of a quote from Ghandi. (Odd… it’s not like I have ever consciously studied Ghandi.) Regardless, the wisdom of these words has been coming at me frequently. Here are a few examples:

John and I have been praying HARD for revival for many weeks now. After seeing the movie, Facing the Giants, we were inspired by the man who walked the halls at the high school praying for revival as he touched the lockers. We have been focusing most of our prayer for revival on New Day Church; however, we pray that revival will spread to all corners of this earth. Therefore on Sunday mornings, we arrive early to church, and we walk through the rows of chairs praying for revival and touching each chair. Recently, I keep hearing God telling me, “Be the change you want to see.” I think he is telling me if I want revival at my church, in this land, then I need to spark a revival in my own heart. I need to get set on fire for God anew. Then that spark in my heart can start to spread to my church and throughout the whole earth. “Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark.” (James 3:5).

Another way these words have been ministering to me is sort of a new twist on an old favorite, the Golden Rule. I am a very sensitive person (this might possibly be the biggest understatement in the world). I get hurt so easily, and once hurt, I often find myself wallowing around in the pain, “Why, oh why, did they do that?” “How, oh how, could a person be like that?” Lately I have heard God calling me to step out of the mud and muck of the pain I am wallowing in and do something to make a difference. I have heard Him saying, “Be the change you want to see.” It is inspiring me to greater heights of patience, loving kindness, and impartiality. When someone is impatient and rude to me at the grocery store, I counter with patience in my reply to them. When someone is cruel or unkind to me, I try to respond with love and kindness. When I feel slighted by a judgmental comment, I vow to strive harder to be impartial and never pass judgment.

I am sure some reading this are thinking but that doesn’t make a difference! You being nice to a rude person doesn’t stop them from being rude to the next person. You being kind doesn’t mean everyone in this world will be kind. You refusing to be judgmental doesn’t end unfairness around the world. But I believe differently. I believe that one person can make a difference, and I believe that even if all I changed was my filthy, rotten, sinful response, than that is still something good.

So go out today and “Be the change you want to see.” If nothing else you will change yourself, and that is still something very good.

3 comments:

  1. I noticed your praying over the chairs =^)

    We tend to forget that being kind and patient to rude and impatient people isn't about them, it's about us - our character, Who we represent. As tempting as it is to respond in kind, the better part is to reflect Jesus.

    Besides, you never know whether that person is rude because they're just a rude person, or because they just got bad news and their mind is elsewhere. A little grace goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. . . . I love the title because it sums it up so nicely "be the change you want to see!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your introspective blog posts and wanted to comment on this one because I agree...sometimes it doesn't seem worthwhile to be nice ALL the time when everyone else is so mean...haha. But I agree - sometimes you will be the ONLY nice person in that person's day...and they will remember you. But more importantly - YOU will be content with your actions, your striving to act like Christ would, and that makes YOUR walk a whole lot easier. Just like prayer, it isn't for them...it's for you :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...