Saturday, May 8, 2010

The kind of mother I have....

My mother has a second mother, Auntie Marge. Auntie Marge and her husband Uncle Joe helped my grandmother (a single mother in the 1950s) raise her twin daughters. As a result my mother has always treated Auntie Marge as her mother too, and for the first time in many decades, my mother won't have to settle for sending Auntie Marge flowers or a fruit basket. This year she gets to spend Mother's Day celebrating with Auntie Marge. But first my mother and I had to negotiate getting Auntie Marge into town for the celebration....

"But I don't want you to have to pack up and lug all the kids on a special trip into the city just to bring me Auntie Marge."


"It's okay mom. I don't mind. Besides.... I would like a chance to see my mom for Mother's Day."


"It's just so far to come for no reason. Don't you have any errands in the city."


"No mom but I wanted to come into town to see you too."


"Hmmmm.... maybe Dad could meet John halfway before he goes to work at McDonald's."


"I want to come into town or meet you halfway, so I can see you for Mother's Day."


"Okay, but I still feel bad that you have to lug the kids out."


I have to admit the conversation left me feeling a little frustrated because I still didn’t feel she had heard me. However, the next morning’s call rectified that….

“I feel so silly. I FINALLY get what you were saying. YOU want to spend some time with YOUR mother for Mother’s Day.”


(with a smile on my face)…. “Yes Mother, I would like to spend some time with MY mother for Mother’s Day.”


“Fine then let’s meet halfway for lunch.”


See that is the kind of mother I have….. I have a mother who is so wrapped up in honoring other people, that she doesn’t realize someone is trying to honor her. I don’t have a mother who is obsessing over what her children are going to do for her for Mother’s Day. I have a mother who is obsessing over what she is going to do for her mothers for Mother’s Day. And that is just the way I want it.


What a wonderful heritage to have handed down to me! And what a daunting task to pass it down to my children. Put others first. Don’t concentrate on what you’re getting; concentrate on what you’re giving.


I hope you are all as lucky as I am, but even if you didn’t have a sacrificing, amazing mother like I did, you can still be a person who puts others first. I’ll let you in on a little secret…. The people who are consumed with blessing others are much happier than those who are consumed with what others are doing for them.


Happy Mother’s Day Mom, and thank you for modeling a servant’s heart for me!


Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

Philippians 2:3

1 comment:

  1. Hey kiddo- I've gotten a first hand view of what you are saying for over forty years and I have to say "Amen". Your mom, through her example and her servant's heart has shown me how to get joy from seeing others happiness. I've been truly blessed by her presence and example and I am truly blessed by yours as well as your posts.
    Love and Happy Mother's Day!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...