Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Theology of Suffering

I read this in my devotional this morning,

"If we do not have a correct theology of suffering, we will be shocked, devastated, and angered when adversity strikes us or those we love."

It got me thinking... what is a right theology of suffering? I'm not sure yet.  But here's what I know about suffering,

*From experience I know that suffering comes to EVERYONE... the godly and the ungodly...

*From experience I also know that if I allow it to, suffering produces growth in my life...

*Finally from experience I know that suffering allows God to show Himself to me... through His word... through His people... through His miraculous works.

Each of these facets of my theology of suffering is from scripture as well,

*In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike.
Matthew 5:45

*Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
James 1:2‭-‬3

*He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.
2 Corinthians 1:4

I'm planing to ponder this for awhile.  Cuz for some reason my mind KNOWS these things about suffering,  yet STILL when thrust into the midst of it my heart is still shocked,  devastated, and yes, angry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...