Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Look for silver linings

I don't believe God ever causes bad things to happen. [...God is light, and there is no darkness in Him at all. 1 John 1:5] It's not in His nature. But I do believe that He wants to use each and every bad thing that happens to us for our GOOD. [And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. Romans 8:28] Sometimes the path we are walking is so dark and demented that it is TOUGH to see the good that God is bringing out of it. Other times the trials we're suffering are less intense, and we can more easily appreciate the good God is working for us.

Right now I'm walking the second kind, the less intense kind. Still a faith workout.... still not what I would have chosen for this summer... but compared to other struggles I've endured,  not that bad. So I'm having an easier time seeing the good that can come out of my suffering.


On May 15th I ruptured my Achilles tendon [leaping over a bench to save a baby]... had surgery May 22nd [my doctor said it was the worst rupture he's ever seen... he took pics with his smartphone to show his doctor buddies]. I have been in a boot, on crutches,  knee walker, sitting on my fat butt elevating this foot, unable to do much of anything for myself for 7 weeks now. It has NOT been fun.  But even though I'm in the midst of it, still I can see many good things coming from it:

1. I'm learning to let others take care of me. That is TOUGH for someone as independent as I am.

2. I'm developing better quiet time habits... more faithfulness in prayer.... delving deeper into the Word.

3. I'm seeing and APPRECIATING what INCREDIBLE servants and hard workers these children of mine are.

4. I'm learning to say "no" to commitments that will hinder my healing (haven't learned how to not feel guilty about saying "no" yet, but baby steps)

5. I'm remembering what a BEAUTIFUL thing the body of Christ is (people bringing meals, cleaning my house,  taking my kids to fireworks...)

And so much more... but the main thing... the real reason I wrote this post....

6. I'm learning [like REAL life, know it cuz you LIVED it learning] that there is ALWAYS good if you look hard enough. And I'm PRAYING that I'll retain that lesson for the next time my path seems too dark to hold any good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...