Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Best and Worst Year

Yesterday was our wedding anniversary.... 13 years of wedded bliss :) John and I snuck away for a celebratory lunch, and while we ate we talked about what was our best year and worst year so far...  Funny for BOTH of us, there was just one year.

The 11th year of our marriage was grueling. We saw more trials and tribulations in that year than most couples face in a lifetime. It was full of the hardest things we had ever faced, many of which I never EVER thought WE would endure. I wouldn't repeat that year for all the money in the world. It was definitely our worst year yet. Funny thing though, as we tried to search for our best year, that one kept popping up too, and finally we decided that the 11th year of our marriage was our best yet too. See we MADE IT THROUGH more trials and tribulations in that year than most couples face in a lifetime. We TRIUMPHED OVER the hardest things we had ever faced. I wouldn't repeat that year for all the money in the world, but it was DEFINITELY our best year yet.

Trials are like that you know. They are awful and gut-wrenching and PAINFUL! But they show us God's love and they reveal the stuff we're made of and they are like a Girl Scout badge proving we can get through ______________ as long as we have God on our side.

It's kinda like my wrinkles and gray hair. I'm not thrilled with them. They reveal my age and lessen my chances of ever getting carded again, BUT they are badges showing I have weathered many years (and tears). They are my worst thing and my best thing at the same time.

Whatever trials you are facing today, no matter how dark and desolate, HANG ON and KNOW--- KNOW DEEP IN YOUR BONES -- that one day you will look back and be encouraged, and be proud, and be thankful that together you and God got through this.

Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.


James 1:12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...