Friday, March 11, 2011

Lessons from auto complete....

So FINALLY after months of John nagging me (I'm not kidding MONTHS) I got a new phone.  It wasn't until my trusty old Blackberry was broken in three ways (o and p keys were dented from falling through the chair... roller ball got knocked out and even a new roller ball kit couldn't fix it) that I caved.  Didn't hurt that new phone was the same cost as the new higher insurance deductible either...  Regardless I keep telling people, "Old people should not get new technology!"  It's not that I can't use the phone. It is that I am SLOW at using it.  And we ALL know that Jami canNOT afford to be slow!

One part that is REALLY slowing me down is this dang-nabbit auto complete function.  First of all the phone has a touchscreen and I have pudgy fingers.  That is not a good mix.  So when I'm trying to type a word and I hit an errant key or even when I don't, the SMART phone completes the word for me... but it isn't always what I mean.

UR keeps coming up IRS
Kiah is kosher
pls is plastics and I keep asking Noah to "Plastics let the dog out."

It is VERY frustrating. But here's the thing.... it's kinda teaching me something about life. This phone is pretty darn smart, but it can't read my mind. It misunderstands my pudgy fingers all the time. It is FORCING me to slow down and I don't like it. However, I think it might be God that wants me to slow down.  I am SO fast!  I bet I'd make your head spin.  I do more by 6 a.m. then most people do all day: get John off to work, do a load of laundry, therapy exercises, read Bible.  I type fast.  FREQUENTLY, when I'm taking a reference people will say to me, "WOW!  You type really fast!" I talk fast, walk fast, cook fast, work fast, LIVE fast... only (here's the catch) all that fast is making me TIRED.

So as irritating as this new smart phone and it's haughty little auto complete feature is... I'm glad that it is causing me to SLOW DOWN and I promise I am trying to submit to the harness.  I just have to admit I'm a bit more like a mule than a horse.  Guess this stubborn girl just needs a little more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...