Friday, January 29, 2010

Perfect People

This song by Natalie Grant really socks me in the gut. It is one of my least favorite parts of the Body of Christ. We are here to serve and help others. Yet within the church so many of us try to "tell the world you've got it all together..... and never let him see what's underneath." We hide away the hardest things. We cover up our foibles. We try to deny our sinfulness. But those things are the VERY things which minister to others most! People need to know they are not alone! People need to know it is possible to struggle with the ick of this world and still trust Jesus. People need to know it is okay to scream and cry and kick and think "THIS SUCKS!"

The other day I was driving down the street and this song came on, and I just started bawling. Here's why: I am so hard on myself. I am such a perfectionist. When things in my life don't line up to the image I have in my head of "perfect," I feel evil, flawed, worthless. As I drove down the street it was like Natalie Grant was screaming it JUST for me:

There's no such thing as perfect people
There's no such thing as a perfect life
So come as you are, broken and scarred
Lift up your heart and be amazed
And be changed by a perfect God, yeah

NONE of us are perfect! NONE of us have a perfect life! EVERYONE has their trials, their struggles, their failures. So don't let your messy, sinful, shattered life keep you from God. Take your broken, nasty nonsense right TO Him. Lie in His arms and be changed. Spend time at His feet and be amazed. Satan wants your shame to drive you from your Father. God wants your failures to drive you to Him.

I hope you'll let the words of this song wash over you today. Remember there is NOTHING you've done He can't forgive. NOWHERE you've been He can't lead you back from. NO WAY you could EVER make Him stop loving you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...